Thursday, November 4, 2010

It MANNERS A Lot

Welcome to this, the first of what I hope will be many posts engaging thoughtful, courteous discussion about the seemingly painful demise of social graces in this country. I was raised in a loving, polite home where thoughtfulness abounded. I've taken those heartfelt lessons with me to college, into my profession and out into the community. They guided me through young adulthood into marriage, and my husband and I have instilled the same rudiments in our children with as much passion as we give to their nutrition and discipline. Yet like so many, we've found that despite our best efforts at home, not a day goes by that we aren't subjected to the discourteous, thoughtless behavior of others. NOT a single day!
No doubt, dear Emily Post is rolling over in grave. Although our hurried society no longer places a premium on these social graces, the fact is, it very much DOES matter, A LOT! Long my personal soapbox, the decline of good manners, i've created this blog to call out impoliteness, one bad behavior at a time. I hope you'll join me on this mission to polish etiquette as we knew it and restore civility.

Have a lovely day~ Lisa

4 comments:

  1. Issuing my first formal apology. In MY hurriedness, I left out the word 'her' when noting that surely Emily Post is rolling over in HER grave. Note to self - slow down, take pause, and re-proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea, and I'd to go ahead and vent one gripe. When two people are walking toward each other on the sidewalk or in a hallway, etc., each of them should go to his or her right. Then there's no bumping into each other and no waffling about who goes where. No one seems to know this anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mad2 - I couldn't agree more. People seem to stop dead in their tracks like deer caught in headlights. It is such a simple rule of which you reminded me of and I'm guilty of forgetting. What I try to adhere to when faced with that dilema is deferring to the other person - PERIOD. Right, left, young, old, by giving them the 'green light', if nothing else, i'm committing a random act of kindness that may make the difference in that person's day. Easier said than done I know when you are racing against the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cap4141:

    The closing of certain memories early in life or

    re-opening them in later years is often like a

    scarred wound. Initial wound: painful;

    re-opening: painful. Either way, an everlasting

    mark...

    ReplyDelete